Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's all about the numbers.

So I'm starting to believe that Isaiah truly is smarter than the average bear. This isn't something that I talk about with many people, and I know not very many people read this blog so it's kinda my getaway and place to let things out. I just don't want people to think I'm crazy, or one of those "my kid is better than yours" moms, cause that's not how it is. He really amazes me sometimes, and I've had a few people tell me that he really is above kids his age, so I don't know. He's known letter recognition since he was 20 months old, could memorize books by 2. Lately tho, it's allllll about numbers. He counts everything! I think if he would stop being crazy for a moment, that he'd be counting to 100. He's totally into telling me what time it is every 5 seconds. His new thing is counting backwards. The other night he counted backwards from 10 for me...something he learned at the Demolition Derby. The next morning he started at 30 and counted backwards. Yesterday, dad told me that the did addition on their walk. Only did plus 1's, but still...he just turned 4! They did 1+1= all the way to 6+1= and then Dad started to try and do subtraction. Today Isaiah and I did the adding all the way up to 20+1=. He's such a smart cookie! I've started reading a bit about the behaviors of gifted children and he fits practically every catagory. The one thing that really caught my eye was sensory sensitivities. He's always had a serious issue with bright light and his eyes. It's not the normal "oh it's bright" - it was to the point he would hide behind me and his eyes would actually water and he just couldn't take it. It's eased up a bit as the years have gone by, but I just read that that is something that gifted kids deal with. Also, food texture issues...I won't even go there with him and food. LOL. I'm not going to worry too much about it, just going to continue to teach him the best I can and hope that when he starts pre-school in the fall that he's not too bored. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...