Friday, August 19, 2011

It all happened so fast (7 weeks post op)

Tuesday afternoon, I was enjoying a lazy day outside with Isaiah. He was running about in the yard while I sat and read some Anita Blake on my Nook. Through the window I heard the phone ringing, and seconds later Mom walks out and hands me the phone. On the other line was my surgeons nurse, Pam. Let me start by saying how much I love this woman. She is so full of joy and so kind. So I get on the phone with her and she tells me that she knows that my surgery is scheduled for next month, but how would I like to get it done sooner...much sooner. I asked her when, and her reply was...Tuesday, like August 23rd. At that moment, I felt like I was in another world. I couldn't think, I could barely even talk. So I told her that I'd call her back in a bit, that I had some talking it over to do with the family. One of the hardest parts for me, was that that very same day is Isaiah's school open house for Kindergarten, and on Wednesday he starts school. So I would be missing my baby's first day of school. I think though, had this been his first time going to school at all, I would have probably not taken the sooner date. As it stands though, he already went to school last year for pre-k and he's absolutely ready to start Kindergarten. At one point during the conversation I asked him if he wanted me to go ahead and get the surgery done now and have to miss the beginning of school with him, or wait and get it done next month. His response, "I think you should get it done now so you can run and play with me again." I had to hold back the tears, because those few little words pulled on my heart strings something serious. That right there pretty much made up the decision for me, though there were a few other things to go over. In the end though, some 2 hours or so later, I called Ms. Pam back and left a message saying, "Let's do it." Bright and early the next morning the scheduling lady called me and it was all done with.

Yesterday we went up to Baltimore and I had my pre-op workup done, and also had my first visit with my surgeon after my 1st surgery. Everything went well, he wants me to walk as much as I can full weight on my new hip for the next few days before surgery to get it ready for Tuesday when I'm going to have to use it to carry my new leg. It's all so exciting!! I'm thrilled to be able to get this done nearly a month sooner than expected. I'll be reaching 8 weeks post-op and heading into the OR for another brand new hip! What milestones! So in another 6 or so weeks...I'll be posting a photo similar to the one below...but instead, with two brand new beautiful bionic hips.

Til next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...